This 2-day course is an introduction to the world of Bladesmithing. We will focus on forging skills. Basic shaping, sanding and heat treatment will be covered. You can expect to leave with at least one completely forged and heat treated blade(blade only), depending on skill level.
2 days (12-14 hours)
Lecture topics will include:
- Shop Safety Primer
- Steel Selection
- Basic heat treating principles
- Basic blade geometry discussion
Hands-on techniques will include:
- Basic Forging technique and hammer control
- Forging of a knife blank(possibly two)
- Introductory grinding techniques
- Introductory hand-sanding techniques
- Simple heat treating in a forge
Limited to two students. Price includes all materials and basic safety
equipment. Travel and lodging are at the student’s expense.
This day starts with a primer on shop safety. You will be introduced to the tools of the smithy. Basic hammer control and forging techniques will be practiced on mild steel. We will end the day by forging a knife blade using high carbon steel
We will shape and prepare the blade for heat treating. Basic metallurgy and heat treating practices will be discussed. We will finish the day with hardening and tempering the knife.